Sunday, June 23, 2013

3 June 2013

Today I'm baking a cake! Whoohoo! It's Sister Christensen's birthday, so I'm baking the cake my mom sent me for my birthday a month ago and we are going to have a fun party tonight with some ward members. Because you just can't find Whipped Topping anywhere (besides Costco), I'm going to be making some from scratch. A little scary, I'm nowhere near as good a cook as my mom, but I'll give it a shot.

Had another earthquake yesterday. The epicenter was in the same place as the last big one a little over a month ago, and it was a 6.3. I was down south this time though, so it wasn't too strong. BUT, being in the 7th story of a pretty old apartment building still made the ride pretty fun. It was super long: it took about a minute and a half for it to die down. Just imagine sitting on a swaying boat, that's about what it felt like. The buildings outside were just rolling around from our viewpoint. Pretty cool.

We had to move apartments on Thursday, and it ended up taking all day. When we got there, we were surprised to find that there was a ton of furniture already there, and because of some miscommunication with the landlord, we were moving pieces of furniture up and down and back up the stairs. Very tiring. And we've been having problems with the A/C people, who haven't installed the A/C since we moved in. To compensate, we sleep without covers and have six fans moving in a perfect array of rotation cycles. We really hope today is the day they come and save us!

I went on exchanges this week with Elder Jensen's new companion, Elder Bean. It was weird being with someone with less experience than me, and since he didn't have much of a grip on the language, I ended up taking the lead a lot in conversations and contacting. It was a good window into the training life. I was nervous about the exchange (I was doubting my competence as a senior missionary), but after we started working together I realized that it was all going to be okay. In fact, we were blessed with quite a few miracles, and managed to have five lessons in one day. I was also blessed to understand a lot more than the usual, and my conversations with others started to take on a variety of topics. Some of the words I was understanding I had never studied previously. I'm learning now, more than ever, that God will help you fill the mantle he asks you to take, as long as you are living worthy of his help.

Elder Erekson and I found this really funny coincidence in our work: if one knocks doors and the other one makes phone calls, every single time someone will let us into their house. Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but it's become something of a "must do" in our daily plans.

We have a surprise Zone Conference this week. This will be my last opportunity to say goodbye to President Bishop and Sister Bishop before they are released and return home. I am so grateful for their service. They've been like a father and mother to me out here, and I will miss them.

Love,

-Elder Jorgensen

P5300366

P5300349

“Ugh. Moving.”

P5300360

“Nice view!”

No comments:

Post a Comment